Y’all, last week we took a break from designing awesome spaces, switched gears, and put on our cooking hats! One of my passions, outside of creating amazing spaces, is cooking! So, when presented with the opportunity to cook lunch at the Ronald McDonald House of Durham, we jumped on it.
If you’ve never been to a Ronald McDonald House, you should know one thing, this is the house that love built. At the Durham house, the love hits you as soon as you walk in the door. You are greeted by a wonderful living room space, complete with fireplace, a friendly volunteer and amazing staff. We were immediately greeted by Clay, the Volunteer Coordinator, and he showed us to the heart of the house, the kitchen. Their kitchen is huge, yet inviting. We immediately set to work on creating a Fiesta Friday Feast. Y’all, we believe in “go big or go home”, and we were not going home.
We had a wonderful time cooking and doing a little team building. It was great to meet and serve families staying at the house. When we observed folks going back for seconds, or even thirds, we took that as a sign that Fiesta Friday was a success.
Want to know more about volunteer opportunities at the Ronald McDonald House of Durham & Wake? Check out their website, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. And because we can’t help but brag on them, here are a few fun facts about the house, and volunteer opportunities:
- The house has 55 rooms, and hosts 100’s families per year
- Most of the families staying at the house are patients at Duke
- They believe that a child fighting a serious illness shouldn’t have to be alone. Mom and dad are needed close by for the love and comfort that only they can give
- Dinner and lunch/brunch are served at the house 7 days a week, which means plenty of opportunities for you to have your own cooking experience at the house!
- Looking for a fun summer project? Check out their Christmas in July Donation Drive.
- You can easily donate anytime by purchasing items off of their Amazon Wishlist, or by making a monetary donation.